?

No account? Create an account

March 7th, 2005

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
nsmdiscuss
06:21 am - { Gunther von Hagens }
I recently bumped across a Yahoo! newblurb w/ photo that described the artwork of Gunther von Hagens. Here is the blurb that accompanied the photograph :

Controversial German artist Gunther von Hagens, known for his displays of preserved human corpses stripped of skin, wants to build a factory in Poland to mass-produce his art, local officials say. File photograph of the artist with a plastinated head.

I am wondering ... and hope to get some conversation going through the newsummediaGroup ... what do you think of this? Is this art? Is this even legal? Should something be done to stop someone from using the human body { the human dead body or corpse that is } from being used as the material to create artwork?

Here are some other links to consider checking out regarding our little pal Gunther :

Gunther von Hagens' KÖRPERWELTEN-BODYWORLDS
http://www.bodyworlds.com

BBC NEWS | Health | The plastination professor
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2494643.stm

Interview with Gunther on ArtsNet
http://www.artsnet.org.uk/pages/professorgunthervonhagens.html

Let me know what you think ...
Current Mood: pensivepensive
Current Music: Transfiguration of Vincent by M. Ward

(:: 1 comment | :: let us know what you think ::)

Comments:

[User Picture]
From:acekicker
Date:March 9th, 2005 03:55 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I saw that recently on Yahoo as well and at first I thought it looked really cool (I thought it was a 3D render done on the computer). But when I found out it was pretty much a mummified human, I was mildly disturbed (usually takes more than you might think).

Using the body as a medium for art isn't something new (think tattoos and piercings). Using cadavars is a whole new spin on body art though. Where does he get the bodies? Are they "organ donors"? Or did they give permission to von Hagens to inject them with plastic and carve them up?

To answer the question with the "body art" mindset, I guess it can be considered art, maybe even good art in that it's controversial and evokes an emotional response. I think the real question isn't whether or not it's art, I think it's a question of morality.

-Andy
{ Gunther von Hagens } - { ::: newsummedia ::: discuss ::: }

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile